INDIA: Indian Chai
About this Recipe
Chai is a spice tea that is popular throughout India and many other Asian countries. It is often served sweet and with milk. This is a great drink for breakfast or any other time of the day when you may need to warm up.
Savita arrived to Pittsburgh 9 years ago along with her husband from India. She joined the International Women’s Association of Pittsburgh in 2016 and submitted this recipe as a participant of their programs. She loves to cook and uploads her recipes here.
- 2 tsp tea powder
- 2 green cardamoms
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 4 black pepper
- 2 cloves
- 1 inch ginger
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup water
- 2 tsp sugar
- Firstly, in a small pan, take 1 cup of water and add cardamom, cloves, ginger, black pepper and boil for 2-3 min
- Furthermore, bring it to boil and lower the flame. simmer it for 1-2 minutes until you get the nice aroma.
- Then add tea leaves or tea powder and simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- Now add milk, sugar.
- Bring it to boil and brew for 2 minutes.
- Furthermore, switch off the flame and filter out the tea, powder, and spices with a fine mesh sieve.
- Finally, serve the masala chai with biscuits or with any breakfast recipes.