KOREA: Japchae (Korean Noodles)
About this Recipe
By: Soon Im Kang and Pyeong Gil Kim (via Literacy Pittsburgh)
This sweet and savory Korean dish features stir fried glass noodles, also known as sweet potato noodles called dangmyeon.
Soon and Pyeong are students at Literacy Pittsburgh and this recipe was submitted via their cooking program!
- 2 ounces sweet potato noodles
(dangmyeon), also called bean thread
- 4 dried Chinese mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 sweet red pepper, cut into thin
- 1⁄2 sweet yellow pepper, cut into thin
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
1 cup carrot, thinly sliced or shredded
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds, toasted
and ground for garnish
Marinade for noodles:
- Mix these ingredients in a bowl.
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Korean soy sauce
- 1-2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
In Korea, japchae literally means “mixed vegatables”.